Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ralph the gay giraffe

My son (who is 8) approached me with a question about same-sex marriage, mostly wanting to know what the big deal is. I didn't really see any reason to dance around the issue, I don't have a problem with homosexuality, I am not threatened by same-sex marriage, if my kids were gay I'd be totally fine with that, and I do not think civil law should rely on a biblical definition (but you already knew all that).

After trying to explain both sides of the issue (emphasizing my belief in civil equality) I told my eldest offspring that all I really want is for him to be happy. If he marries a woman, great, if he marries a man that's great too. My goal as a mother is to raise happy, healthy, independent creatures, I don't care if they are gay or straight or somewhere in between. He was a little irritated with me for mentioning any possibility that he could be gay.

#1 "Mom, you know I'm not gay"

Me: "How do I know that?"

#1 "BECAUSE I'M NOT GAY"

Me: "Okay, I didn't say you were"

#1 "Yes you did."

Me: "No, what I was trying to tell you is that I don't care who you marry as long as that person makes you happy."

#1 "well that person is going to be a girl."

Me: "Okay, but I don't care if it is giraffe named Ralph, as long as you are happy."

#1 "MOOOOOOOOM I told you that I'm not gay"

Me: "I still didn't say you were"

#1 "Look mom, I'm not gay, and if I do marry a giraffe, it will be a girl giraffe." he said as he walked out of the room in a cloud of indignation.


I guess he's not gay....but maybe I should keep a closer eye on him when we go to the zoo.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I can't wait to go to his wedding...no matter who he marries - no matter what species.

m said...

aaah hahaha....i wish i could have great conversations like this with sean EVERY. DAY.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Too funny!